What to Do about Water Damage in House

 In Uncategorized

Water damage can pose a serious problem to homeowners when it is not dealt with promptly. The area will be contaminated no matter what source the water comes from. When water is not removed the next day, you will start to notice that the area has contact with mold and mildew. The items that come in contact with the water such as boxes will have changed the color of the water and contaminated it.


The floodwater comes from somewhere, it could be a malfunctioning water heater, a leaking washing machine or a leaking pipe behind the wall. It’s hard to locate the exact source of the water damage so the best thing to do is to stop the water flow to the pipes in the entire house by turning off the main water line. There is a tap outside in the garden of your house that controls the main water line. After turning off the tap, check to see if there is any more water flow when you open the faucet in the house.

As a safety measure, you need to turn off the electricity to the entire house. Electricity can travel through water. There may be some electrical appliances in the flooded area and you can accidentally turn it on only to get electrocuted. You also want to avoid an electrical appliance while wading through the water. Sometimes, this appliance can transmit electricity even when it is not plugged in.

Next, you can assess the damages and take photos as proof for the insurance company. You are to move out as many items as possible out of the space. The place can dry faster when there is no furniture. It also makes it easier for you when you clean and disinfects the area afterward. The easiest way to remove the standing water is to use a pump. The pump is placed at the lowest area of the flooded area. A wet dry shop vacuum is ideal for removing a small amount of water up to 5 gallons. For a small area, you can use fans to dry the area. A large area can be dried with a large dehumidifier.

Once the area is dried, you can use a torchlight to inspect for mold. Mold can grow on and behind the wall, floor, and ceiling under the right conditions in 24 hours. If the area has too much mold, you should contact a mold remediation professional to remove it. Mold remediation professionals know how to remove the mold permanently so that it will not come back. They can also help you repair the area that has been torn down due to mold.

When you’ve confirmed there are no mold spores, you can start moping and wiping down the area with disinfectant. The most common type of disinfectant used in cleaning a flooded home is bleach solution. You can also make your own cleaning solution from essential oil, baking soda, and vinegar for cleaning purposes.

Contact Us

We're not around right now. But you can send us an email and we'll get back to you, asap.

Start typing and press Enter to search

Call Now, Certified Manchester Techs